Innovation in Education

Innovation in Education

“The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled” – Plutarch

When education is restricted to dispensing the curriculum in a mechanical fashion – cramming young minds full of information in the name of efficiency – we wind up with students that view learning solely as an academic process where effort is rewarded with good grades. What a sad outcome this is. We are born innate learners with curiosity and wonder bursting at our seams, eager to experience all the world has to offer, absorbing everything it has to teach us. Education should be a means to inspire youth and to foster their love of learning as they grow.

Jeff and the work he has done at The Pacific School of Innovation and Inquiry leads progress – with unparalleled levels of student engagement and passion for learning. It’s funny because I lived on Douglas and walked by the school everyday and always wondered what went on in there – what made it a “school”, who attended, why it existed – and now I know. I know that it is in fact a high school, one that is blazing the trail in the modernization of education and setting an example for mainstream education to hopefully follow.

We are born raging fires, as life carries on our flame stays with us – how much light it provides us depends on how often we stoke it and how effectively we fuel it – if we neglect it we may be left with nothing but red embers.